September 26, 2007

Resume and Cover Letter Websites

After reading some of these articles, I believe the main point to express is that organization and specification lead to success.

In the article Some Resume Objectives do more Harm than Good, one becomes aware of the importance of the objective an a resume. It seems to be a balancing act between an aspect that could really harm or really help one in attainment of a job position. On one hand, an objective helps the reader to find good candidates for a particular job with ease, but on the other hand, if one's objective is too vague or too specific, one's resume could be eliminated without a second glance. That is a real risk that I am reluctant to take as I will be looking for an internship. I would like to find an article that is written specifically for college students though. I feel that the advice for someone that has had limited job experience would be slightly different.

I enjoyed the article on What HR Professionals look for in a Resume because I believe that the mistakes listed are ones that most people forget to check. Many people believe that they are clear and concise, but are in fact, wordy because they do not proofread.

Also, many people, like myself, get frustrated while hunting for jobs that they are qualified for. In the middle of all of the stress that is associated with the job hunt, people tend to get lazy and send in resumes without investigating the company and what the company may need. If one can find a need and show how one can fill it, then there is a greater chance that one will be hired.

Displaying skills is always important and for some reason is ignored in some resumes due to lack of detail about previous employment or fear of being too wordy. For example, I know that I do not have the specific experiences of working in a Human Resources Department, but I do know that in my other jobs, I have learned skills needed to perform well in an HR setting. I have tried my best to communicate those skills- interpersonal, communication, customer service, organization, and leadership- in my resume to increase my chances for hire.

No comments: