September 20, 2007

Interviewing Tips...

I enjoyed reading the interviewing tips, since I will be interviewing for internship positions and plan to make recruiting my job focus.

The most interesting things that I discovered were that too much eye contact is a bad thing (I did not think about the creepiness that too much eye contact could cause), one should address negative qualities but with a positive spin, one should have ideas about the direction that the interview should go in and one should lead into information about oneself, and one should not talk too much.

I really enjoyed the article A Job Hunter's Guide to Recruiter Code Words. I think that this was the most informative article that I read. It really combined what recruiters look for and demonstrated the actions that one should avoid. While most of the code words contain a negative connotation- too much information, factual discrepancy, search virgin, poor presentation, serial networker, and mortician,- there are others that I would personally love for someone to use when describing me, such as a "walking description," or even better, a "purple squirrel." I hope to work hard enough and become proficient and experienced enough in my field to be desired and actively recruited by employers.

I think the most beneficial aspects of these websites for myself are the information regarding talking and eye contact. I am confident in myself and like to make lots of eye contact because I am genuinely interested in getting to know people. I can often remember the color of a person's eyes after having met him or her. Also, I love to talk; I am a personable and extremely social individual. I did not realize that some of my natural actions could be turning away potential jobs. Now that I am aware of this, I will strive to fix it so that I can attain the best job possible for my career advancement.

No comments: