November 27, 2007

Not a typical Thanksgiving



Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, and traditionally, I would get to spend quality time with family over Thanksgiving. I would eat so much turkey and stuffing, that I would have no choice but to sit down on the couch next to my other thoroughly stuffed relatives and swap playful banter and amusing stories. However, this Thanksgiving, tradition was broken.

This year, my youngest brother and his band were featured in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The whole family left Sunday the 19th and did not return until the following Friday. It was a wonderful experience full of sightseeing and lots of togetherness (a 16 hour bus ride both ways as well as a schedule of all activities for the week). We saw the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Wall Street, Ground Zero, Times Square, Chinatown, and Little Italy. We also went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Seaport, the Museum of Natural History, and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

The parade was fabulous and I encourage anyone that is in New York City around Thanksgiving to attend. I had to get up at 4 a.m. but it was worth it to have front row seats on the street. The balloons were fantastic, as well as all of the clowns and various parade participants. There is so much to see that is not recorded on the television shows, and even though I am 21, I was as excited as the children around me. I even had several clowns come and give me some flowers and throw confetti in my face!

Even though I was nostalgic for my traditional Thanksgiving with the extended family, and change is not something I like much, it was one of the best Thanksgivings I have had. I still got to eat the traditional turkey and stuffing from our night cruise through the harbor and I got to talk more with my brothers and parents, which I do not get to do as often since I am away at college. I have enjoyed experiencing something new and hope that someday I can return to New York for another holiday.

No comments: